Thursday, April 1, 2010

Imperfect Father

  29 days home today and it is confirmed I am not the perfect father. After just showing in Chinese characters - 狗獨自離開 and saying for the upmteenth time, leave the dog alone, I had no sooner turned my back when the dog had had enough and bit him on the face. I could not protect my child from a dog who has never bitten anyone, who had patiently put up with our son poking and strangling him for the last four weeks. A couple of nips earlier, our son just couldn't seem learn.

  Folks said later that they hoped he wasn't freaking out. He wasn't, he was crying, he was scared but I was the one having trouble keeping it together. Do you know how frustrating and worthless the Yellow Pages are in an emergency when you know the doctor's name but have to look at 101 categories of doctors to find Your doctor's phone number? Finally found by just looking in the white pages business section.

  We had a previously arranged appointment to see his doctor after regular tests, so we got that moved up two hours and saw the doctor's husband at 130 pm.  The wound cleaned, the area numbed.  While the numbing process was going on I had Tian find a nurse to relieve me because I was about to pass out from it all, getting woozy.  How silly of me not being able to hold it together, but there it was again, imperfection.

  Two stitches later, we went to eat oriental food of some sort across the street owned / run by a family from Taiwan.  The best food I've had since Taiwan.  The family Ellen had met earlier came in later and was able to talk to our son telling him to leave the stitches alone and the dogs again....

Yu-Hsuan, wo ai ni -  我愛你,





Baba.

5 comments:

  1. OUCH. Poor guy! Dad, you are not to be perfect, ONLY JESUS is perfect! Relax, with boys I am told this will be the first of many wounds. Sad to me :(

    Blessings,
    Tami
    PRAYING JERMEIAH HOME QUICKLY
    www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there! We've had instances of kids having to learn the hard way with animals. Instances where you say to "leave them alone" or "they have to have some way to tell you they don't like it and you're going to get bit!"..compound that with the language barrier and I bet many unwitting dogs have snapped :). I'm FAR FAR from perfect too...so glad we are all not alone :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor little guy!! I hope this time he leaves the dog alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor kiddo! But he seems to have come through it all with a smile. So glad he's going to be okay. Messing with animals-- a difficult lesson to teach/learn no matter the age, language barrier or not. And it is hard to see our children learn things the hard way. :( We naturally want to protect from life's painful lessons. But then I think about all the *spiritual* lessons I'VE had to learn (still am) the hard way! lol
    Ah the bumps and bruises of life...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love reading your blog. This happened to us too. Our dog bit Mason's bottom lip into. Maybe I should have used Chinese characters... Poor baby.

    ReplyDelete